Saturday, July 11, 2026

The Hollywood Argyles : The Hollywood Argyles (Feat. Gary Paxton)

 


THERE'S A MAN
IN THE FUNNY PAPERS 
WE ALL KNOW





The Hollywood Argyles

 were an American

musical ensemble, 

assembled for

 studio recordings 

by the producer and songwriter

 Kim Fowley

 and his friend

 and fellow musician 

Gary S. Paxton.

 They had a US 

number one hit record, 

"Alley Oop" 

 in 1960.

"Alley Oop"

According to Paxton

who, at the time, 

was half of 

Skip & Flip

"Alley Oop" 

was written by

Dallas Frazier as

 a country tune:

"As for the name,Kim Fowley and I were living in a $15-a-week room in Hollywood. ... Since I was still under contract (to Brent Records) as 'Flip,' I couldn't put my name on 'Alley Oop.' Seeing that the studio was on the corner of Hollywood Blvd. and Argyle Street, I decided on Hollywood Argyles. Other than myself, there were no actual Hollywood Argyles. Everyone else on the track was either a friend or a studio musician who I paid $25 apiece for the session. When 'Alley Oop' suddenly took off and people wanted to book us for concerts, there was no such group."

The

 "Alley Oop" 

session was produced by 

Fowley,

 who recalled that

 "all the participants were

 hopelessly drunk on cider 

by the time they

 recorded the song."

 According to some reports, 

the lead vocalist on

 the track

 "Alley Oop"

 is Norm Davis, 

although the voice 

on the record has been

 identified as a match

 with other recordings sung

 by Paxton

 from the same era, 

such as

 "Spookie Movies".

According to Paxton,

 the group consisted of

Ronnie Silico 

on drums, 

Gaynel Hodge 

on piano, 

Harper Cosby 

on bass, 

and

Sandy Nelson

(of "Teen Beat" fame)

 playing percussion

 on tambourine

 and a garbage can. 

Nelson also provided

 background screams

 in the song. 

he background singers

 included 

Dallas Frazier, 

Buddy Mize,

 Scott Turner, 

and a woman named

 Diane.

"Alley Oop"

was the first song 

played on 

WLS-AM Radio

 in Chicago on

 May 2, 1960,

 when it

 changed format from

farm programming to 

rock and roll.

"Alley Oop" 

charted for 15 weeks 

on the

Billboard Hot 100, 

peaking at number one

 for the week of 

July 11, 1960. 

The song sold over 

one million copies 

and was awarded a 

gold disc by the RIAA.



No comments:

Bobby Vinton : The Best Of Bobby Vinton

LONELY, I'M MR. LONELY I HAVE NOBODY  FOR MY OWN

Free Guitar Blue Cursors at www.totallyfreecursors.com